Skip to main content

Interview: Eneko Artola


In a relatively short time Eneko Artola has gone from an unknown figure with a passion for music to one of the most notable new producers in house and music today. His background is fascinating, and his rise is one that seems to be nowhere near it's peak yet. His music combines the kind of soulful, vocal-led house music popularised a few years ago by the likes of Duke Dumont, Disclosure and Swedish House Mafia, and through the latter half of the 2010s has developed into the Electro-Chill and Tropical House scenes. Eneko puts a distinctive French twist into his sound though, reminiscent of some of the French House artists like Cassius or Justice, and it's a sound which has helped him gain some remarkable traction in such a short time.


Based in London, the 20 year old originally hails from the French area of the Basque Country; but his travels have taken him beyond Europe, spending time in Canada and China before coming to the UK. In the first part of this interview we talked about Eneko's background and origins as a musician.


Thanks for joining this interview with me. For those who don't know you, you've had a pretty rapid rise from your start as a producer to where you are now. Tell us about your musical journey so far...

Music has always been a place where I could express my feelings and thoughts without being judged and limited. I started really young, playing piano and guitar by own, and then just less than a year ago I wanted all those melodies and projects to be concrete; that’s where I started producing. I got myself a new computer and basic headphones, and that’s how I worked during 3 months in my university accommodation.

Many music has seen the day during this period, and I wanted it to be heard because I trusted my music and my projects. I got in contact with some labels and after some rejections, I finally signed five of my tracks and, day by day, I kept going and signing and here I am eight months later.

So you've been making music for a long time, but what really inspired you to start your recent endeavour producing House music?

I feel like music can carry emotions and feelings, and mostly the producer's emotions and feelings. I wanted people to feel it through my music, those feelings I had during the production process. That’s how I got them to produce physically in the music and then made even more.

You mentioned to me before that you lived in China for some time. That must have been quite a cultural change. How were your experiences there?

Travelling has always been something I loved, and going to China has developed a huge change in my love for music. I have met people there that made me love music, especially the guitar. My best friend William Bonga was such a good guitar player, and at that time I wanted to have that level of ability, so he made me buy my first guitar. I practised every single day and that’s how I created my own riffs.




Listening to Eneko's lengthy collection of singles, the instrumentation he talks about is very clear - the guitar is a constant in all his works, sometimes sitting as a subtle atmospheric conductor on tracks such as Becoming True and Only You, sometimes driving the track from the foreground such as on Feel It and Sunrise. Amongst the charmingly restrained beats and basslines, the guitar work gives a special flavour to Eneko's production.

Equally as important in this type of House music is the vocal performances that can make or break a track, and in the second part of the interview I asked Eneko more about the creation of his music and the nature of his artistry and collaborations.

Which artists do you take influence from? Is there anyone specific who really inspires you?

I listen to a lot of different music; I try to inspire myself from different style and artists. If there was one I could specifically say, then I have always been a fan of Petit Biscuit, style wise and even as a guitar player.

As a producer who makes beats, how do you start off finding singers to work with?

That’s the hardest part of making a track; finding singers. What makes a good track is the top line, and obviously the singer makes the top line. It's not easy but it's about building relationships, and sometimes singers just message me direct and that's how we get together.

Do you consider yourself to be just a producer, or are you also a DJ? Do you see a distinct difference between the two roles, or do they come hand in hand when you are a creator of dance music?

Usually DJs are producers, and if they come at one point where they make a huge hit, then they will have to perform. So, it comes naturally to be a DJ when you are a producer.

With a world changed seemingly irrevocably by the pandemic, music is moving even further into the digital arena than before. For some artists this can be a difficult transition, but for others it is a smoother path into this new future. In the final few questions, I asked Eneko about his acheivements so far, and what the future looks like for him.

What's been the highlight of your career so far?

I am not sure we can talk about a 'career' so far, but I would say getting four of my tracks in the biggest electro chill editorial playlist of Spotify is a big achievement. Signing at Roseville Publishing was a huge step in my producer adventure, and it will open many doors for the future.

What does the future look like for you? The pandemic doesn't seem to have held you back much...

The future will be as it needs to be, I will just keep producing with my team and make sure people enjoy what I make. My goal will be to eventually perform on big stages and be to able to live out of my music.

Any final words from yourself?

Hard work pays off. 


You can listen to Eneko Artola on Spotify and YouTube, and you find him on Instagram too.


Comments

  1. Actually really enjoyed this .. Would be interested in doing something similar .. SHoot me an email ..THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Apparitions by Joe Hodgson

As someone who has played guitar for close to two decades, I understand that the relationship with the instrument can run deep. There is something both beautifully elemental and wildly creative about the guitar which makes it such an endearing medium. But you don't have to be a wizard with the six strings to make amazing music, and those who do verge on the conjuring side often fall into a trap, losing the inherent soulfulness of the instrument for the sake of technical mastery and virtuosic ability. That line can be a fine one to balance on, and getting the equilibrium right is something many a musician has struggled with when putting the guitar as their centrepiece. From the shredding of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani or Tosin Abasi, to the electric blues of Albert King, Gary Moore or Buddy Guy, it can be all too easy for compositions to end up sounding like one big guitar solo. It takes the ingenuity and skill that all these artists possess to elevate guitar instrumentals into somethin

Interview: Lindsay O (NATALIA, Coma Cluster Void, Eyes Of Perdition, Catenation)

Although there sometimes remains an outsider view that metal is still a pretty stagnant and unsophisticated genre, there are actually a wealth of artists in the underground who are pushing the genre forward both musically and culturally. Lindsay O is a brilliant example of the dynamism of modern metal. The LA based vocalist and instrumentalist has been at the front of a number of boundary pushing projects within the broad scope of death metal, and has lent her talents to several different styles and sounds. Whether it's the dissonant tech-death of Coma Cluster Void, the slam death of Eyes Of Perdition, or the industrial experiments of Catenation, her combination of roaring low growls, epic high screams, compelling cleans and charismatic spoken words make everything she puts her voice to exciting. With her new project NATALIA, Lindsay O has taken something of a different turn. Placing her focus into electronic sounds, NATALIA still has much of the intensity and energy of Lindsay O&#

Review: At The Boiling Point by Marshall Oakman

There's something about boogie-woogie in it's modern form that is incredibly joyous. The melting pot of blues, rock n roll and r'n'b that defines the style is infectious but, certainly for those of us in the UK at least, it's rarely heard outside of Jools Holland's TV show jams. And when you do hear it, it's rarely done as well as Marshall Oakman's At The Boiling Point, an instantly catchy and remarkably well composed track that hits every mark a great modern boogie-woogie track should. Marshall Oakman may not be a familiar name, but over his extensive career the New York based musician has forged an impressive path not only as a talented songwriter but also a tremendous performer, with a strong reputation across the Eastern US. For his latest single he has enlisted the help of fellow New Yorkers Kasim Sulton on bass, Liberty DeVitto on drums and Paul Pesco on guitar, all of whom come with fantastic experience and provide skilful playing on the track. At