Skip to main content

Interview: Dan Wande

Swedish musician Dan Wande has a career spanning over 40 years, writing music and playing in multiple rock and metal bands in his home country. Now, aged 57, he is venturing out as a solo artist and creating the best music of his career. His two solo releases so far, Wings and Way Back have had a brilliant response, racking up hundreds of thousands of Spotify streams. I spoke with Dan about his musical journey, his visions for the future, and what inspires him to keep his heavy metal flame alight.

Click here to read my review of Dan Wande's latest EP Way Back



Hi Dan, thanks so much for letting me interview you. I was really intrigued by you and your lengthy career. What can you tell me about your musical journey so far?

Well I started playing guitar at the age of 13 in my room at my parents house, struggled with that for five years and then moved to a city called Haparanda, on the Sweden/Finland border, for college. One of my classmates happened to know some musicians in the town and one night introduced me to a couple of them. I thought that I was a master on guitar, but that night took me down to the floor big time, the guys were incredible on their instruments. So I went hard on beer that night, feeling ashamed that I thought that I was a master. Then and there I decided to play in a band starting from the very bottom up to the highest level. And I did so, initially playing guitar and singing in band called Rundgång. From there on I was offered a place in a band called Myopic Void as lead singer and that blew me a way, it one of the best times in my life playing in that band.

Then came a heavy metal band called Grave as the lead singer [not be be mistaken for the Swedish death metal band of the same name]. We had one single recorded, which you can now find on Youtube. Grave was in the highest level of Haparanda's educated musicians, and we played venues all over Sweden, including opening for Nazareth. Then out of the blue the best band in Haparanda offered me the lead singer spot. We played a lot of venues and were starting on a record deal with CBS. Unfortunately, due to differences between some strong willed members of the band things didn't work out.


After that I went to Stockholm and played in a few bands: Unit-X, Stella and SMILE. Nothing much came out of them though, and whilst we worked hard to get the lift we needed I was losing my hunger for music and for about ten years I stopped singing and composing.

I moved back to the north about 11 years ago and then like a lightning strike I got the hunger again. I started composing and practising my vocals, and it has lead to my current solo project.


What have been some of the big highlights in your career to date?

Every time I go on stage and get a connection with the audience is a highlight for me. Being the opening act for Nazareth was pretty great, and some of  big open air gigs in Sweden we did as well as recording the single with Grave was very cool. The record now sells for 170 euros to collectors! When I got the letter the we had a fan club, that was pretty amazing.


What has motivated you to begin this new solo project now?

Possibly just the fact that I have a bunch of nice songs that I have written and that I really believe in. I have also lifted my singing skills back to a level where I feel comfortable working with the best. The main thing that got me started again though was my wife telling me to take hold of the moment and do something with the songs, because people need to hear my music. So she gave me the kick in the butt to do it!


You are based in Piteå, which from what I know is a small town in the far North of Sweden with some beautiful surrounding countryside. Does the area inspire your music at all?

Of course, where we live we have the big forests around the corner and a lake behind the house. So the tranquillity gives me a space where I can be myself in my compositions. I can see the trees and the lake from my studio, so it's a great place. When I get stuck on something, I take my rottweiler and go for a walk and just listen to the sound of nature to clear my head.

Elevation map of Piteå, Sweden - Topographic Map - Altitude Map


Who are your big musical influence for this project?

Well that is easy to say - Rainbow, Deep Purple, Dio and other earlier bands with roots in blues, as well as some progressive influences like Dream Theatre. Of course a bit of Judas Priest somewhere too! I don’t listen to other bands when I am composing though, it disturbs me.


Do you find inspiration in band who combine Swedish pop sensibilities with an affinity for heavy metal?

I get inspiration from bands with a soul and groove. When I am not composing, I listen to everything, both old and new bands. I am constantly listening and getting influences now for the next record.


Your new release Way Back is far more Metal in style than your previous release Wings. Was this a deliberate decision or just something that occurred naturally?

Wings was an adventure where I went outside my comfort zone to try the softer approach to rock. I am a metal guy at heart, but it is nice to try new things. So yes, it was a deliberate decision as I worked on both EPs at the same time.

Review: Dan Wande – 'Wings'


There's some amazing performances throughout the record, how did you assemble such a great group of musicians?

I spent a long time searching sites that have session guys for hire, and I tried out with a lot of people until I found the right groove in them. The most important thing is to get the groove feeling as good as playing together in the same room, and I think I managed that.


You mentioned a new EP coming soon, what can we expect from this?

The next EP called Dragon Force is in the pipeline. I'm waiting for the lyric video to be ready, but otherwise it is ready to go. But I don’t want to let it out yet, as Way Back is doing well so I will before releasing it. Music wise it will be a bit higher quality in performance, and also a bit "what is that?!". On the song Tommyknockers, for example, have a harmonica solo playing in unison with the guitar solo, that sounds awesome! The vocals on the record were harder to do but they are spot on. It carries the style of Way Back further on.


What are your intentions for the long-term future of the project?

Well to release my upcoming EP Dragon Force, and then later this winter to release a full-length album on Spotify and other sites, as well as on CD and USB. But the crowning jewel will be a limited-edition signed and numbered vinyl, which I will only do 200 copies of. It will be sold for about 50 euro, and up to now I have already sold about 25, so I am really looking forward to that!

When this pandemic is over or when there is a safe vaccine, I will put a line-up together and get out and play. The dream would be to not only play in Sweden but in Europe too! I am turning my eyes and from then you never know where it can go!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Apparitions by Joe Hodgson

As someone who has played guitar for close to two decades, I understand that the relationship with the instrument can run deep. There is something both beautifully elemental and wildly creative about the guitar which makes it such an endearing medium. But you don't have to be a wizard with the six strings to make amazing music, and those who do verge on the conjuring side often fall into a trap, losing the inherent soulfulness of the instrument for the sake of technical mastery and virtuosic ability. That line can be a fine one to balance on, and getting the equilibrium right is something many a musician has struggled with when putting the guitar as their centrepiece. From the shredding of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani or Tosin Abasi, to the electric blues of Albert King, Gary Moore or Buddy Guy, it can be all too easy for compositions to end up sounding like one big guitar solo. It takes the ingenuity and skill that all these artists possess to elevate guitar instrumentals into somethin

Review: Perfect Here by Vicki F

People often mistake punk rock's intensity and fervour for simplicity or pureility, but there is a whole wealth of artists who have proved over the years that the intangible qualities of punk rock can be used to create sophisticated and intricate music. Whether it's the post-punk experientialism of Public Image Ltd or Talking Heads, the post-hardcore emotiveness of Fugazi or Thursday, or the singer-songwriter intimacy of Patti Smith or Laura Jane Grace, there are artists who stand firmly as torchbearers for punk. Those latter two names can also be joined now by Vicki F, an acoustic singer-songwriter whose folk and americana indebted songs are infused with the essence of punk rock. Perfect Here, the title track from her latest EP of the same name, is a gloriously melancholic ode to a relationship, showing off not just Vicki F's terrific voice but also her brilliant song-writing skills. Vicki F has a history in punk rock that dates back to the genre's earliest days. Her b

Interview: Lindsay O (NATALIA, Coma Cluster Void, Eyes Of Perdition, Catenation)

Although there sometimes remains an outsider view that metal is still a pretty stagnant and unsophisticated genre, there are actually a wealth of artists in the underground who are pushing the genre forward both musically and culturally. Lindsay O is a brilliant example of the dynamism of modern metal. The LA based vocalist and instrumentalist has been at the front of a number of boundary pushing projects within the broad scope of death metal, and has lent her talents to several different styles and sounds. Whether it's the dissonant tech-death of Coma Cluster Void, the slam death of Eyes Of Perdition, or the industrial experiments of Catenation, her combination of roaring low growls, epic high screams, compelling cleans and charismatic spoken words make everything she puts her voice to exciting. With her new project NATALIA, Lindsay O has taken something of a different turn. Placing her focus into electronic sounds, NATALIA still has much of the intensity and energy of Lindsay O&#